Thursday, February 5, 2009

"...he's BALD!..."

It was 40 years ago today that I came Home from Viet Nam...you guys were on the Tarmac.
  • Mother said, "shut up", about the bald thing
  • I weighed 173 lbs
  • Dad asked, "did you keep the faith?"
  • Mother took me to Frankford Avenue the next day where I bought, what she called "Frank Sinatra Shoes", black loafers with a Gold Medallion on them
  • They went well with the Cashmere Blue Blazer I had custom made while in Hong Kong!
  • Meanwhile, my big brother didn't know where Chestnut Hill was...
  • I have no photos of that time...does anyone?

To this day I remain Bald...I was 22...and aside from my attempt at "the wing" where Maryann had to bobbie-pin my hair in the Wind of Hawaii, I remain content!

I just wish I was still 173lbs...

The Pea

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

That was a beautiful posting Pea..I forget how young you were and how "Dashing" you were in your Tailored Clothes ...We love you with or without the "Wing".

Anonymous said...

Welcome home, Pea! We DO love you--just as you are.

Sorry, I have no pictures of the historic event; if I did, they were ruined in the Flood of Hurricane Agnes which destroyed EVERYTHING in our basement on Mitchell Dr., including all the pictures (from Colorado St. & "D" St.) I was keeping for family posterity! I STILL feel sick just thinking about that loss...

Anonymous said...

Geralp Pea:DONE, DRILL SERGEANT!
Drill Sergeant: PEEEEAAA! Why did you put that weapon together so quickly, Pea?
Geralp Pea: [confused] You told me to, Drill Sergeant?
Drill Sergeant: Jesus H. Christ!
[looks at stopwatch]
Drill Sergeant: This is a new company record! If it wouldn't be such a waste of a damn-fine enlisted man I'd recommend you for OCS! You are gonna be a general someday, Pea, now disassemble your weapon and continue!

Anonymous said...

I have a few photos of the gathering at D Street after you got home ...I'll be in touch...at ease Soldier.

Anonymous said...

I wanna no where my Smoking Jacket got 2!!! I just looooooove the feel of satin between my fingers.... Luv it Luv it!!!!

The 34 Counts!

                                                                              OMG! No wonder he was foung Guilty! He is a definite threat to...