Saturday, March 14, 2009

MRI's, Claustrophobia and Bunkers...although Bunkers are Wider than MRI's

I am scheduled for an MRI in April. I have had four of them in my lifetime. They are difficult to endure. Michael had a good point when he said to me, "they can make this wonderful machine that has helped so many people, they can put a Man on the Moon, but they can't make an MRI more comfortable?"
  • I always thought it was a Genetic thing...Dad couldn't go on an elevator
  • A war story that you have all heard. "INCOMING" and we ran for the underground Bunkers...
  • I was about the 4th one in and about 25 followed
  • You crawl in and have to sit, ceiling about 5ft high.
  • Most Bunkers, you go in one side, you can go out the other side
  • This Bunker was under construction! They hadn't completed the Exit.
  • Dead End

Mortars falling, sky lit up, people screaming and I had to get out! Crawled over the "cursing 25" to the Entrance and breathed In the night air! Whew...(after that I always went to the above ground Bunker)...

That's the way an MRI feels to me...

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Pea...I know your panic. First got it when my brothers would cover my head w/ a pillow and hold me down. Don't know how but I found the strength to throw off all four of them. When my sisiter helped it was near impossible....her strength was beyond description. Ya know she carried five babies? I dare her to try it now....the same ones. By the way, I gotta have an MRI this week on my knee. Doc says I'll finally be able to jump w/ot pain and proally regain sme speed.

Unknown said...

They have an OPEN MRI that isn't totally open but there are no sides on the tunnel and it isn't too bad. There is also one that you stand in that's open in the front. Gotta ask for it or they won't suggest it for you.

Anonymous said...

What is an MRI? Two knee replacements, Doc says "where does it hurt?" I reply, "right there Doc", He says "Gotta come out". End of exam!!

Anonymous said...

if you don't ask for the open air model, go for the drugs. you won't care where you are.

Anonymous said...

Hey Pea.....ya go to Nam, dodge the bullets and bombs, overcome dependency to weed and what we all talkin' bout? MRI's!! Us vets know what u went thru..I had the same claustraphobia every time I went into Norristown or Pgh. or wherever I happened to be serving. It wasn't pleasant but it's over now.....I thank you for your service....

Anonymous said...

Bunch of Slack Jaw Woosies in this family... Get a set and deal with the MRI tube. All i hear about is how you guys ran D Street. Now you can't even deal with a little MRI machine for 25 minutes?

Anonymous said...

Pea, Why would you need an MRI? You look to be in excellent health. A few more pounds, perhaps, but other than that a fine physical specimen.

The 34 Counts!

                                                                              OMG! No wonder he was foung Guilty! He is a definite threat to...