Friday, May 29, 2009

Have you ever Boxed?

I just saw George Foreman on a talk show and he looks Great! You need to read his Life Story, an exceptional person! Anyway, aside from my loss to Michael in the back yard when I was 11 and he was 10 (the Punch that ruined my Hearing), I was 3-1 as a Boxer. I boxed when I was in the Army in Colorado & kicked some serious Butt! It was an official kind of thing. Speed Bags, Heavy Bags, Head Gear, big gloves, trainers, cheering crowds, etal. The guy that was my Coach is the guy that kicked my butt in my Final Bout. Smitty, from Chicago, a Gold Glove winner, tore me up! Point of the Post...Boxing is a great learning experience for kids and a great exercise routine. I regret that I never got my sons' into it. Then again, I can still out-box them today...

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I boxed at Champs Gym, Broad & Glenwood, Joe Frazier's gym in early 1971 once.

I went with a fellow cop from the Police Academy, Colavito, I forget his first name but everybody called him the obvious Rocky Colavito. He was a boxer from South Philly and wanted a white cop to go with him to Champs. Cops got in free, others had to qualify, they NEVER expected 2 white guys!

We showed up and he was impressing them all with the speed bag etc. I just watched and then sparred with him. Couple of guys wanted to get in with us. An old black guy said NO to a few then said OK to a couple of them.

Rocky beat the snot out of his guy like a boxer, jab, jab, jab, combination etc.

My turn; the guy jab me a bunch, I blocked a bunch then decked him. Old black guy jumps in the ring, "Fights over!" "You guys gotta go now" We left. UNDEFEATED!! True story.

boxedinallaround said...

Personally, I know NOTHING 'bout boxing--unless you count SHOE-BOXING, DRESS-BOXING, PURSE-BOXING, HAT-BOXING, etc. or BOXING groceries @ the A&P, or Falato BOXERS ("Smokey & Duchess!) or Hanes BOXERS...

...anyway...JUST WANTED TO TAKE A MINUTE TO WISH PEA A HAPPY DAY-BEFORE-YOUR-BIRTHDAY! Enjoy!!!

Gay Cababunchofbirthdays said...

Whoever reminded everyone that Pea is having "ANOTHER" birthday, had better be ready to box. Pea did not take the publication of that reminder very well. Pea, we need to find the culprit!

The Cooker said...

He's been to war, he's been up and down and runaround, he's my brother and he ain't heavy...Happy Birthday Gerald, we're right behind you! You're in our thoughts today, have a Vodka, some stromboli and sit back and enjoy the Phils...I wish you all the best.

The 34 Counts!

                                                                              OMG! No wonder he was foung Guilty! He is a definite threat to...